3 day weekend!!

Having a 3-day weekend is always exciting, no matter what for. It's like finding money in the pocket of your coat. But what's awesome about this 3-day weekend is the SUNSHINE! After dealing with all the damn rain {for what seemed like FOR.E.VER...} we finally got some dry weather and warmth on our bones.

And what better to do to start off the weekend than take a little drive down to the city.
 {St. Louis Cathedral}

{Place d'Armes Park}

 {I don't the know the name of that bridge... you know the one}

 {one dem gamblin' boats. Mississippi Queen, maybe?}

 {Jo on the River Walk}

 {don't let the photo fool ya....she enjoyed herself}

And  Koen got his first taste of NOLA, too.

{at the park}

{feeding pigeons in the French market}

 {and passed out on Bourbon...}

Saturday was spent at home mostly.  I brought mami to the farmers market in the morning, then for a stroll around downtown. The rest of my day was spent (for the most part) at the house where I busied myself hanging artwork on the nursery walls.... finally.  Turns out I didn't do the frame cluster after all. I just couldn't get it right. I think the problem was the size of my frames and the space I was working with. So I kept it simple:

The walls still seem bare, in my opinion, but I'm happy with this little bit of progress. It'll just have to do for now.

Then... Sunday morning.

It started off just as any other: coffee, tummy time, laundry. Then Gabe says, "hey, I think I'll go check that rat trap {yes, we had a rat issue} in the attic. I think I heard something."

OK, no problem. Little did I know that was going to turn in to something from National Lampoon.  As Gabe descended the attic ladder, carrying the cage with the furry gray rodent in it, the front door of the thing flings open and out jumps the rat into our hallway. The rat was literally air born and all I could do was scream like a sissy and shut myself into the guest room with Koen! I did manage to spill my coffee all over the floor in the process.

But wait, the fun doesn't stop there....

Where does the rat run for safety? The nursery, of course! At this point, I've gotten the courage to step back  out of the guest room. "Did you get it?! Did you get it?!" I ask Gabe frantically, just as I see Mr. Rat scurry along the floorboard behind the crib.

Immediately, Gabe and I go into "oh sh*t" mode. How are we supposed to catch a loose rat in the baby's room? He fetches a shovel, a rake and a cardboard box. The plan is to corner the rat and get him to run into the box. Should he try to make a run for the door, I am to smash him with the rake. If he goes the other way, Gabe is to smash him. Easy peasy.

After about ten minutes of back and forth with this damn rat (he's super speedy, y'all), he disappears under the crib.  I move the crib to get him to come out. Nothing. Then low and behold,
I see the little acrobat climbing up the back of the crib (his little whiskery face staring at us) on to the humidifier. Being that the humidifier is on a stand that's a little top heavy, the thing began to wobble and in order to save his tail (pun intended) the rat leaps into the air on to...drum roll, please....the BABY'S MOBILE!

Picture this! The rat swinging and twirling on the mobile and Gabe and I lose it! We're screaming and laughing hysterically. Garden tools are all amuck. Complete chaos ensues. I will spare you the details of how the battle ended, just know that there is no longer a rodent problem.

If only we'd gotten the whole thing on video. You'd have to have seen this ordeal for yourself to believe it! And that was a all before breakfast.

Hope you all had a fantastic 3-day weekend. SHOUT OUT to my bestie Mindy who is celebrating her 2 year wedding anniversary on 1.22.13. Whoop whoop! Congrats!

mama V!ck

No comments:

Post a Comment